Kids and adults go bananas for Bananagrams, the anagram word game that drives you bananas! You’ll have a bunch of fun as you make crossword grids in a race to the finish! And with everything you need to play included in the banana, it’s go-anywhere fun for everyone!
Bananagrams is a fast-paced, competitive word game with similarities to both Scrabble and Boggle. The game progresses without turns as in Boggle, while each player builds his or her own interlocking, Scrabble-type crossword. It is packaged in a small bag the shape of a banana, and can be played ANYWHERE and ANYTIME.
How to Play:
- Unzip the banana-shaped pouch and dump out all of the tiles onto a flat surface such as the floor or a table.
- Flip all of the tiles face down, so no letters are visible.
- The number of tiles each player takes is determined by the number of people playing the word game.
- For 2-4 players, draw 21 tiles each
- For 5-6 people, draw 15 tiles each
- For 7-8 people, draw 11 tiles each
- Group the leftover tiles into a middle pile or “bunch”
- Once everyone has counted out his or her tiles, say, “Split!” This is the signal for everyone to flip over his or her tiles.
- Arrange your tiles into an interlocking crossword. Tiles may connect vertically or horizontally, but not diagonally. The goal is to create complete words out of all your tiles.
- Note: If you have a tile you do not wish to use, not enough vowels, too many consonants, etc., try “dumping”. Place the single tile you are dumping back in the bunch, exclaim, “Dump!”, and draw out three new tiles.
- Once you have finished making words with all of your tiles, yell “Peel!” (It’s always a good idea to double-check first to make sure all your words are valid and spelled correctly.) Everyone must draw one new tile from the bunch.
- Work in the new tiles. Tiles can be moved, rearranged, rotated, etc. In this example, the player has a newly drawn T. By replacing the D in FOOD with the T and creating FOOT, the player was able to place the D at the end of TIE to make TIED, effectively using all of his or her tiles.
- Continue playing in this manner until all the tiles in the bunch have been used or the number of tiles left is fewer than the amount of players. At this point the player with a finished crossword, proclaims “Bananas!” He or she is the winner!
- Flip the tiles over, mix them up in the center of the group, draw new tiles and play again, and again, and again…