Pop to the Shops Game
Learn about money in this fun shopping game.
Help children learn about handling money and giving change, by playing this fun shopping game using cents instead of pence. Move from shop to shop, using play money to buy lots of different items.
Educational Benefits of International Pop to The Shops
- Promotes Imaginative Play
- Encourages Observational Skills
- Encourages Number and Counting Skills
- Encourages Discussion
- Develops Personal and Social Skills
- 1 jigged game board,
- 48 item cards,
- 4 shopping bag boards,
- 4 characters,
- 4 character stands,
- play money,
- 1 dice
- Assemble the game board and place it in the middle of the table. Place the characters into the character stands.
- Each player takes a shopping bag board, then chooses a character and places it in the doorway of the matching coloured shop.
- The small cards with the coloured background are placed over the correct items in the shop windows. The remaining cards are shuffled and spread
face down on the table.
- Each player is given two 50c coins, two 20c coins and a 10c coin. The rest of the money is kept to one side and one person is chosen to be the banker. Each time a player crosses the centre of the board they collect 20c from the banker, until the bank runs out! They may also use the bank to change money into smaller denominations.
To be the first player to buy any six items from the shops without overspending!
- Each player starts by picking a card from those spread out on the table. This shows the first item they must purchase. N.B. If the card they turn over is from their own shop, this card is placed back on the table face down and a new card is taken.
- The youngest player starts by throwing the dice and moving their character the corresponding number of spaces towards the item shown on their card.
- Play passes to the person on that player’s left.
- When a player reaches the correct shop they must ask the shopkeeper politely for the item they wish to buy and then pay the shopkeeper the appropriate amount of money.
- The card with the coloured background is given to the player and the other card is discarded by placing it in the box.
- The player places their item onto their shopping bag board, returns their character to their own shop doorway and a new card is taken ready for their next turn.
- If fewer than four people are playing, the players may still purchase from all shops, but the money from the shop(s) not in play is given to the bank.
- Players must always check that they have enough money to purchase the next item shown on their card. If not, then that card should be returned to the table and a new card taken.
The winner is the first person to fill their shopping bag board with six items.